Inside Sales Interns
Posted on May 23
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX (https://www.jellyvision.com/solutions/), an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY, BUT WHAT’S THIS I HEAR ABOUT AN INTERNSHIP PROGRAM?
We’re looking for a select group of amazing humans for an internship program with our ALEX sales team. You’ll be hopping on board during one of the busiest, most exciting times of our sales cycle, helping our team reach their goals while learning what sales is all about. This is an excellent opportunity for someone thinking about a career in sales to try it out - with training, support and mentoring from a team that will give you kind, honest feedback to help you determine if sales is the right fit for you.
Length: The internship will start in June and wrap up in August. The length of the internship will depend largely on university academic year calendars or graduation status.
Who’s eligible: This inside sales internship is open to 2018 grads, 2019 grads (rising seniors/current juniors), and recent grads. Unfortunately, we do not consider current sophomores or freshmen for the role.
WHAT DOES THE JELLYVISION INTERNSHIP OFFER?
• Competitive pay. Specifically, $500/week.
• The opportunity to help drive sales of Jellyvision’s award-winning interactive ALEX products through specific sales assignments. You’ll be doing work that matters. You won’t be making copies all day, stuck in a back room filing papers, or fetching coffee — interns sit with and are valued members of the team.
• An environment voted one of Chicago’s best workplaces by Crain’s Chicago Business in 2014, 2015 and 2016. We also were on Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces List in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Lastly, Symplicity named us one of the Best Places to Work for Recent Grads in 2016 and 2017.
• Training in the fine art of sales, as well as background training in the complex world of health care benefits, so that you’ll really understand the customers you’re helping us sell to.
• Professional development support, mentoring and feedback from members of Jellyvision’s award-winning staff.
• Social events designed to give interns exposure to staff outside their core work area.
• Bottom line—the opportunity to do good work with fun people in a relaxed and casual environment.
OKAY, I COULD COME HANG OUT WITH YOU JELLYPEOPLE THIS SUMMER. WHAT ARE YOU SPECIFICALLY LOOKING FOR IN A SALES INTERN?
The summer is a crazy time for sales people here at Jellyvision. Summertime is when we are reaching out to and building business with more companies than any other season. We’re looking for bright folks interested in learning the ropes of entry-level sales.
This internship will largely be focused on reaching out to potential customers, sharing information about ALEX and Jellyvision, and setting appointments for our Account Executive team. You’ll work alongside our business development team to support a territory, learn how to use CRM tools, and pitch to prospects using a variety of cold calling and email sales techniques.
We are looking for interns who are outgoing, sharp and willing to adapt quickly. Sales is a fast-paced, ever-changing world that requires flexibility and resilience. Additionally, internal motivation, an outstanding work ethic and strong organizational skills are key to being successful as a salesperson.
More broadly, we’re looking for people who are:
• Seriously interested in learning about and working in the field of sales.
• Outgoing, friendly and not afraid to pick up the phone.
• Quick on your feet and willing to try new things.
• Hard-working. A strong work ethic, even when things aren’t going your way, is key (because there are days in sales when everyone just says no).
• Competitive, in a way that drives you to always be the best, while still being…
• …A kind, and collaborative team player.
And we’d love to see applications with these bonus features:
• Experience with cold calling (or other forms of cold outreach, like email or social media), or a job history of retail sales or customer service that includes upselling. Students who have worked at their university’s alumni foundations, calling alums for donations, or who have participated in phonathons are great fits for this role.
I’M A HARDWORKING, ADAPTABLE AND OUTGOING PERSON! WHAT EXACTLY WILL I BE DOING AS A JELLYVISION SALES INTERN?
Great question! As a sales intern, you will be:
• Organizing and creating lists of prospects to email and cold call within a territory.
• Using Salesforce and other tracking software to help you keep track of your work and opportunities, and maintain clean data.
• Making cold calls every day to reach out to prospects to share our ALEX library of products.
• Learning to craft specialized emails to send to prospects and other social outreach.
• Using a variety of sources, including LinkedIn, to discover fresh accounts and contacts.
• Listening in on product demos with our Account Executive team to build knowledge of the sales cycle.
SOUNDS FUN! SO WHAT DOES A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN ALEX SALES INTERN LOOK LIKE?
• 8:30: Arrive and pour yourself a hot cup of coffee, tea or maybe a tall glass of soymilk. Head to your desk, fire up your computer and dial into our phone system and start making calls.
• 9:45: Take a break, have a stretch or a snack. You just wrapped up an hour of phone calls and landed a meeting with one of your prospects. Give yourself a pat on the back and take a quick lap around the office.
• 10:00: Get back to your desk and open up LinkedIn. You’re on a mission to find 10 prospects in your territory and are focusing in on the tech scene. You notice a company named Smellyvision. Suspicious.
• 12:00: It’s lunch time, and your stomach is growling. You have the great debate—do I go to Whole Foods for a burrito or make the trek to Mariano’s for a cheap salad? You poll the team and end up going to Jimmy Johns with a few of your sales pals.
• 1:30: You’re stuffed full of sandwich goodness and start hitting up the phone for your afternoon calls. Just like this morning, you’re energized and excited about each call and voicemail you leave.
• 2:30: You’ve wrapped up your afternoon calls, and are now diving into prospecting and list building. You start in Salesforce, going through your accounts and researching to make sure you find all the right contacts lined up for your day tomorrow. Planning today means success tomorrow! You also start sending some emails to your prospects.
• 3:30: A prospect you set a meeting up with last week is having their product demo with your awesome Account Executive. You take a seat and watch the demo, listen to the objections the prospect raises and see how the AE handles them, and are amazed by all the laughter at the corny jokes your AE keeps telling.
• 4:15: You challenge your Account Executive to a game of Ping-Pong. The game gets intense but you come out victorious!
• 4:30: Back at your desk, you do one final sweep of your list to make sure you’re all set for the morning. You discover your perfect prospect and put them to the top of your list.
• 5:00: It’s time to head home, planning to come back tomorrow and top the number of meetings you set today.
I’M A SENIOR AND AM REALLY LOOKING FOR A FULL-TIME JOB, NOT AN INTERNSHIP.
For recent grads in the internship program, we will evaluate your progress midway through the internship. If you are working hard, setting meetings, learning and growing, and have a great attitude at work, there is a strong possibility we will offer you a full-time position before the end of the internship. If it unfortunately doesn’t turn into a full-time offer, you’re going to learn some GREAT skills over the course of the summer for any future sales positions you may have.
SIGN ME UP! HOW DO I APPLY?
Send us a cover letter that clearly indicates:
1) What year you are in school and when you plan to graduate (if applicable);
2) What you think you could contribute to Jellyvision as a Sales Intern this summer;
3) What you hope to get out of the internship; and
4) Who you are – really let your personality shine through your cover letter! (We weigh cover letters heavily, so have some fun with it. If you’re going to be selling ALEX, you should be able to sell yourself too!)
Also send us a resume that fills us in on your experience to date—including sales / cold-call experience, school projects and work you’ve done on your own.
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQs.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!